Visit to Firmins in Birmingham

FullSizeRenderAs part of the Company’s search by the Master for more sword producing companies, he and the Master Elect and Clerk visited Firmins factory in Birmingham.   From modest beginnings in 1655 as button makers, Firmin & Sons became the leading supplier of every form of uniform, livery or badge, and the accessories and accoutrements to go with them, including the occasional refurbishment and provision of swords.   The photo above shows the Master and Master Elect, together with the company’s Sales Manager, Tony Kelly, examining buttons they had made during their visit. The photo (left) is of the die of a button used on Admiral Nelson’s waistcoat.